January 18th, 2009
Happy New Year everyone! This is the season to usually sit back and relax with family and eat a lot of food baked right from your local kitchen. With most holidays, getting together with family and eating is a time most of us indulge in ways we usually don’t. I want to encourage you to use this time with your family to share ways you can include a healthy recipe into your family’s traditional family feast.
- 1 package High Fiber instant Oatmeal
- Any healthy additions: raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, etc.
Cook oatmeal according to directions on package. Wait at least an hour for the oatmeal to set up and become less gooie. Roll oatmeal and any additions together into balls. Lay onto cooking sheet. Bake for 35-45 minutes on 350 degrees.
One more quick holiday tip: while you are relaxing around the house or out shopping for sales, work on your ADL’s (activities for Daily Living) in your own creative ways. It could be a way to share your love for exercise with everyone around you! Some examples of ADL’s to work on are listed below:
- When parking your car, park in a parking spot closer to the back of the parking lot and get a quick little walk in.
- If you have the choice between stairs and an elevator, definitely take the stairs.
- Take several trips from the car to the house when bringing in your goodies from the store.
- Stretch while you are watching your favorite TV show or traditional holiday movie.
- If you are standing around talking with someone do some calf raises.
- Always remember: To boost your ADL completion daily, shortcuts are not for you! Enjoy what is around you by taking the long way to get from one place to the next, or using a few extra minutes to get something done that will bring your heart rate up, even just a little bit.
Happy New Year!